University Of Metaphysical Sciences
University Of Metaphysical Sciences ->  General Public -> Metaphysics Discussion -> View Thread

You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

The Seventh Seal
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Public -> Metaphysics DiscussionMessage format

Paul Joseph
Posted 4/7/2010 6:50 AM (#19286)
Subject: The Seventh Seal

PhD Alumni

A film by Ingmar Bergman .... arguably one of the great metaphysical films of all time: interesting discussion of it on today's IHT web-site:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/04/05/critics-picks-video-th...

It is not the inevitability of death, it is the opportunity to do what lies between it and birth ....

Edited by Paul Joseph 3/14/2020 3:25 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Allen
Posted 4/7/2010 7:55 AM (#19287 - in reply to #19286)
Subject: RE: The Seventh Seal

Regular

Paul,

If I remember my biblical history correctly, St. John The Divine was exiled to an uninhabited island and spent many years in total solitary. While there he wrote the "Book Of Revelations."

Under those conditions, a person's mind could open up to divine inspiration. The Book Of Revelations depicts many events that John "saw" and recorded on parchment, in his solitary life - events that he saw as the end of the World. His writings during those years were ether of Dinine origin, the result of total insanity, or perhaps both. Future History will shed light on that.

We also need to consider the level of understanding of the distant future that an Author would have had when Revelations was written. An age of computers and space travel would be difficult to describe with no reference point for such, so the metaphore that he"saw" had to be within the relm of his understanding.

Either way, what an exciting time to be between birth and death.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/7/2010 10:06 AM (#19288 - in reply to #19286)

PhD Alumni

Hello Allen ... the Isle of Patmos, I think it was ....

the film is an allegory about a mediaeval knight returning from the Crusades whom Death comes to take, but whom is challenged by the knight to play chess (Death enjoys chess, the knight knows this because so many woodcuts depict him playing chess); the film's narrative weaves in and out of the chess game as the events of the Bubonic plague make themselves felt across the land ... of course, who can win a game of chess against Death .... ?

.... yes, the Book of Revelation, the Apocalypse of St John the Divine is intriguing .... was it a commentary on the church at the time, was it an accurate vision of the future, was it the product of a feverish imagination ... or are there psychological truths buried in it ? Who knows?

Cartoon in the IHT on 1st April, man with board saying , 'The End is Nigh', then as he walked past, the reverse said 'April Fool'. It made me laugh.
Allen
Posted 4/9/2010 11:27 AM (#19293 - in reply to #19286)

Regular

Paul,

Sounds like a good movie that I have not seen.

Allen
alpha+omega
Posted 4/14/2010 1:50 AM (#19314 - in reply to #19288)

Veteran

Paul Joseph - 4/7/2010 7:06 AM Hello Allen ... the Isle of Patmos, I think it was .... the film is an allegory about a mediaeval knight returning from the Crusades whom Death comes to take, but whom is challenged by the knight to play chess (Death enjoys chess, the knight knows this because so many woodcuts depict him playing chess); the film's narrative weaves in and out of the chess game as the events of the Bubonic plague make themselves felt across the land ... of course, who can win a game of chess against Death .... ? .... yes, the Book of Revelation, the Apocalypse of St John the Divine is intriguing .... was it a commentary on the church at the time, was it an accurate vision of the future, was it the product of a feverish imagination ... or are there psychological truths buried in it ? Who knows? Cartoon in the IHT on 1st April, man with board saying , 'The End is Nigh', then as he walked past, the reverse said 'April Fool'. It made me laugh.

Hehe...

Have you ever looked at the King James Version of the Bible as chronicles of Time Travellers? For if time travel backwards is possible, there must be evidence of or from time travellers amongst us. Perhaps deep meditation opens the mind to communication from beings in a different time space. This would be more likely than actual physical time travel where somebody straps themselves into some sort of capsule or vehicle, and then energizes the device to a great fanfare of sparks flying and various electronic components exploding. Perhaps we are on the verge of discovering the physical processes necessary to do that, which if it were December 21, 2012, time as we know it would cease to exist due to the extreme can of temporal worms that would be opened. Maybe it has something to do with the LHC at CERN, or it could simply be a janitor there accidentally brushing the wrong switch while mopping up stray subatomic particles. I dunno... Make a good movie though.

leo
Posted 4/14/2010 8:35 AM (#19315 - in reply to #19314)

Ph.D. Alumni

Dear Alpha-O, I really dislike saying "as I understand it" however, it is what I've been told. Time is not linear in universal speak. We understand seconds, minutes, hours etc. We make appointments for a specified day and time. The spiritual universal time is actually no time at all. Spiritual reality is based on events and is verticle, all is happening now, past present and future in the "now".

So, that being said, our past, present and future is availabe for us to see through meditation. Took me awhile to get it. Your spirit guide can help you with this, as she/he (probably she, depending on your sex during your first incarnation, you know yin/yang) can lead you through it. Sounds crazy but it is what it is.

There are many probable events and each can be understood by meditatiing. Whenever you change an event, both are events, one actual in your reality and the other is still played out in another reality. or in other words, if you change your mind and take the bus instead of driving, both events occur, one in your reality and one in another reality.

Strange isn't it.
Paul Joseph
Posted 4/14/2010 11:11 AM (#19316 - in reply to #19293)

PhD Alumni

Hello All, lovely to see you back Louise!! Just dropping in quickly as away on holiday and e-mail access limited, so just this one post ... snatches of film, Allen, on the link to IHT site, sure, A&O, Leo, Time Trvael to future = hence deja vu too (Lori?xx)

What else, oh yes, just reading The Shroud by Ian Wilson, (new edition, 2010), wow, mind blowing/bending book about the history of the Turin Shroud and the Image of Edessa ... must get Googling when I have more access ....

love to All

Paolo Quixoite della Seventh Seal

ps, if you are into Time Travel mythos, check the BBC Tv series, Dr Who, now shjowing i beleive over your side of the Great Waters

ps, to those who have sent me 2 PMs, this PC link up (in Maltaq, place of the Crusaders) is too slow for me to access, so, apologies, they will need to wait a few days, but I look forwarad to them

Hiya Kirsten dearest - see you on line just now too

Edited by Paul Joseph 4/14/2010 11:12 AM
mruppert
Posted 4/19/2010 7:42 PM (#19327 - in reply to #19286)

Expert

Not to be confused with "The Seventh Sign" wherein Demi Moore finally answers the question "Will you die for him...Will you die for him?" and, in answering, staves of the completion of the Apocalypse, aka the Book of Revelations, aka the last gospel of Saint John.

Pax vobiscum,

Marty, L,P,and S

Paul Joseph
Posted 3/14/2020 3:23 PM (#28831 - in reply to #19286)
Subject: Re: The Seventh Seal

PhD Alumni

A perfect film for our strange times....

And RIP Max Von Sydow, coincidentally leaving the great chessboard as game commenced.. Timing is all.

Edited by Paul Joseph 3/14/2020 4:11 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software